The Manor of Pincents takes its name from a 14th Century Tilehurst family. They came from Sulhamstead and obtained their land by an exchange between the Abbot of Reading and Edmund Pincent. Edmund Pincent is mentioned as a parishioner of Tilehurst in 1341 but from that date onwards it is impossible to trace the history of the Estate. In 1494, a widow called Margaret Sambourn died, and the Estate by inheritance was passed to her son Drew Sambourn until his death in 1506. It was then passed to his granddaughter Margaret.